21st Australian Timber Design Awards winners announced
The Annual Australian Timber Design Award winners for 2020 were announced last night at a virtual event. BVN and TTW received first prize for their stunning project: Marrickville Library.
The Marrickville library and community centre is located on the site of the former Marrickville Hospital site which closed in 1990. It’s crafted inside and out with timber which is used for its columns, façade, screening, internal walls, window/door frames, tiered seating, joinery, ceilings and furniture. The use of the timber creates a space which is welcoming, warm and homely, creating a building that the community enjoys and wants to occupy.
• Overall Winner – Marrickville Library by BVN and TTW
• People’s Choice – Macquarie University Clinical Education Building by Architectus + Buildcorp + Arup • Sustainability – Balgowlah CLT Passivehouse by Betti & Knut Architecture
• Rising Star – Bo Chu for Coppin Street Studio from Pitch Architecture + Design
• Small Budget – ANZAC Walk by Pelle Architects
Excellence in Timber Applications:
• Residential Class 1 – New Building – Scotland Island House II by Sam Crawford Architects
• Residential Class 1 – Alteration or Addition – CLT House by FMD Architects
• Multi-Residential – La Trobe University Bundoora Student Accommodation Stage 1 by JCB Architects, Multiplex Constructions and TTW
• Public Buildings – Marrickville Library by BVN and TTW
• Commercial Buildings – Damaru House, Barangaroo by TZANNES and Lendlease
• Interior Fitout – Residential – Breezeway House by David Boyle Architect
• Interior Fitout – Commercial – Phoenix Central Park – Performance Space by Durbach Block Jaggers Architects
• Landscape – Olivine, Gumnut Park by MDG Landscape Architects
• Furniture and Joinery – The Magic Box by Liminal Objects + Van Tuil
• Stand Alone Structure – Chadstone Link by Make Architects
• Australian Designed International Projects – Kutubu Convention Centre by Grimshaw
Excellence in Timber Products
• Australian Certified Timber – Wildlife Retreat at Taronga by Cox Architecture, TTW and Taylor
• Recycled Timber – Mon Repos Turtle Centre by Richard Kirk Architect
• Sliced Timber and Prefinished Veneers – State Library Victoria Children’s Castle by Architectus + Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects
• Timber Veneers – Springvale Library by Lyons Architects
• Tasmanian Timber – Y House by Andrew Simpson Architects
Winners were announced online at a virtual ceremony, hosted by Julian Brenchley, from Brenchley Architects. Gratitude is extended to the panel of judges, sponsors and to those who entered projects.
For a full list of winners and finalist, visit timberawards.com.au. Also available is Awards eBook.