Australian Timber Design Awards 2019 winners announced
The Annual Australian Timber Design Award winners for 2019 have been announced at The Crown in Melbourne in October where fitzpatrick + partners claimed first prize for their stunning Castlecrag home aptly named The Seed House.
The Seed House blends in seamlessly with the surrounding bushland typical of Castlecrag, floating on a steep, rocky overhang that juts out into Middle Harbour. This warm and charismatic home is hugged by rocky outcrops and Angophora trees. The architect’s use of the latest technologies in engineered timber construction gives this eco-friendly structure a sense of warmth and homeliness but also structure and character.
Its purposeful use of natural elements – timber, steel, stone and concrete – will help this forever home age as the years go by.
• Overall Winner – The Seed House – fitzpatrick + partners
• People’s Choice – 25 King – Bates Smart Architects, Aurecon and Lendlease DesignMake
• Sustainability – Monash University Gillies Hall – AECOM, JCB Architects and Multiplex
• Innovative Structural Design – Pingelly Recreation and Cultural Centre – iph architects with ATC Studio
• Rising Star – Adam Markowitz for Oak REDefined Denfair Pavilion
• Small Budget – Blue Mountains CLT Studio – Design King Company
Excellence in Timber Applications:
• Residential Class 1 – New Building – The Seed House – fitzpatrick + partners
• Residential Class 1 – Alteration or Addition – Brown Street House – Rod Pindar & Natalie Sciberras
• Multi-Residential – Fenner Hall Student Accommodation, Australian National University – BVN & Lendlease DesignMake
- Commendation–- Multi-Residential – Denison Rivulet – Taylor and Hinds Architects
• Public Buildings – Our Lady of the Assumption Catholic Primary School – BVN and TTW
• Commercial Buildings – 25 King – Bates Smart Architects, Aurecon and Lendlease DesignMake
• Interior Fitout – Residential – His and Her House – FMD Architects
• Interior Fitout – Commercial – No. 1 Martin Place – Adriano Pupilli Architects & Siren Design Group
• Landscape – Mernda Pavillion & Playspace – MDG Landscape Architects
• Furniture and Joinery – Tailored Couch – Simon Ancher Studio
• Stand Alone Structure – Somewhere Other – Jacaranda and John Wardle Architects
Excellence in Timber Products
• Australian Certified Timber – Mount Mulligan Lodge – David Dubois Design + Interior Architecture
• Fit-out Featuring Decorative Sliced Timber Veneers – Bank of China, Sussex Street Sydney – Built and Group GSA
• Imported Timber – Pingelly Recreation and Cultural Centre – iph architects with ATC Studio
• Recycled Timber – Mount Mulligan Lodge – David Dubois Design + Interior Architecture
• Timber Flooring – Pingelly Recreation and Cultural Centre – iph architects with ATC Studio
• Timber Panels – Castle Cove House – TERROIR in collaboration with Pascale Gomes-McNabb Design
• Timber Veneers – Luther College – Imagination Hub – Cox Architecture and Ireland Brown Construction
• Timber Windows and Doors – Tree Haus – Pedersen Architecture
Winners were announced on 17th October 2019 at The Crown in Melbourne, where a large group of people from the Australian timber design and architecture community came together to celebrate the 2019 Australian Timber Design Awards.
Gratitude is extended to the panel of judges, sponsors and to those who entered projects. For a full list of winners and finalist, visit timberawards.com.au. Also available is Awards eBook.