24th Australian Timber Design Awards Winners Announced
The Annual Australian Timber Design Award winners for 2023 were recently announced at the Cargo Hall in Melbourne, compered by writer and presenter Tim Ross. ARM Architecture received first prize for their outstanding Sydney Opera House Concert Hall Renewal project.
The World Heritage-listed Sydney Opera House celebrates its 50th birthday this year. The Concert Hall, its largest venue and home to the Sydney Symphony Orchestra had never lived up to the promise of the exterior of the building, suffering a poor reputation for acoustics. The challenge to solve this shortcoming involved innovative use of Brushbox timber panelling and smart interventions into the existing White Birch ceiling.
The wall panelling around the stage, stalls and rear walls were reconstructed with new solid carved panelling. All were made in the same Brushbox timber already present in the Hall. The new panels diffuse the acoustic energy, prevent direct reflections and create a blended sound and sense of envelopment in the music. The result is a series of highly tactile and sculptural surfaces that encourage the hand to run along them.
Overall Winner – Sydney Opera House Concert Hall Renewal by ARM Architecture
- People’s Choice – Boola Katitjin – Murdoch University by Aurecon, Lyons Architects and Multiplex
- Sustainability – ANMF House by BayleyWard Architects
- Rising Star – Austin Reed from Brother Nature for Kunama Townhouses
Excellence in Timber Applications:
- Residential Class 1: New Building – Pocket Passiv by Anderson Architecture.
- Residential Class 1: Alteration or Addition – Music Room by Alexander Symes Architects
- Multi-Residential – Eternity Life Apartments by k20 Architecture
- Public Buildings – The Pavilion Performing Arts Centre Sutherland by CHROFI & NBRS
- Commercial Buildings – Barker College Maths and Student Hub by Architectus
- Interior Fitout: Residential – Elsternwick House by Melanie Beynon Architecture & Design
- Interior Fitout: Public or Commercial – Sydney Opera House Concert Hall Renewal by ARM Architecture
- Furniture and Joinery – Art Gallery of NSW Library and Members Lounge by Tonkin Zulaikha Greer Architects
Excellence in Timber Products
- Australian Certified Timber – Galkangu Bendigo Govhub by Icon Fairbrother Joint Venture and Lyons Architects
- Engineered Wood Product – Boola Katitjin, Murdoch University by Aurecon, Lyons Architects and Multiplex
- Recycled Timber – Marramarra Shack by Leopold Banchini Architects and Cantilever Consulting Engineers
Tim Ross, an Australian comedian, radio host, writer and television presenter, announced the winners at the Cargo Hall South Melbourne. He is more recently known as the presenter of the ABC shows Streets of Your Town and Designing a Legacy, which reflect his personal enthusiasm as a self-proclaimed architecture geek.
The Australian Timber Industry would like to extend gratitude to our panel of judges, sponsors and those who entered projects.
For a complete list of winners, finalists, and the awards magazine ebook, visit www.timberawards.com.au.